About Redwood Ranch and Vineyards

Redwood Ranch - 1940 Grainery

The Redwood Ranch has been producing
high quality wine grapes for over five decades.

Redwood Ranch is located in the Southern end of the magnificent Alexander Valley in Sonoma County, California.

Partners Jim and Gayle Reed use sustainable practices while farming Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon wine grapes, and are committed to forming long-term relationships with winemakers creating award winning wines from fruit grown on the Redwood Ranch.

  • 1840's Pioneer, Cyrus Alexander settles a large parcel of land on the eastern side of the Russian River which becomes known as the Alexander Valley.
  • 1852 Colonel Ira Bidwell the first of 3 generations of Bidwells settles a prime piece of the valley bordered by the Russian River. Elk, deer, grizzly bears and all types of wildlife abound. Cattle, horses, sheep, orchards and other crops are produced.
  • 1947 Ranch converted to irrigated pasture for 200 head of cattle.
  • 1954 Wallace Johnson buys property and names it Redwood Ranch.
  • 1964 After a decade of raising prize winning hereford cattle, vineyards are developed.
  • 1970's Johnson develops the UP-Right Harvester on the ranch. Pioneers field crushing of the fruit using the mechanical harvester and builds the Field Stone Winery.
  • 1996 The Reeds purchase Redwood Ranch and Vineyards from the Johnson Family.
  • 1997Extensive planting of Cabernet, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc begins.
  • 2008 First 15 acres of Chardonnay vines planted adjacent to Russian River.
  • 2015 Certification by the California Sustainable Wine Growers Alliance